Thursday, June 4, 2009

Thunderstorm


lightning, originally uploaded by brian.crissie.

So this picture was taken in Chicago and could easily be mistaken for downtown Portland in the Pearl today. Maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but this storm came out of no where! We set up shop for First Thursday and one block over I see paintings in the air, canopies, paper, dirt, all kinds of debris. Like a tornado tore thru the Pearl! So many artists lost works and it was headed our way! My friend Suzanne held onto the canopy with me as her purses and bags hit the ground. Yed held the glass cases together and Micah held onto his bicycle. People were yelling, artwork was crashing, it was a mess! I looked up at my neighbor Kirk, and he said, "So your sticking around right?" BTW- he was a bit delirious having been hit by a car on his bike today. I don't think I've ever packed up jewelry so fast. It was really a world record (6min). I heard advisories on the radio and my friend even called to warn me. It was so sunny and pretty at that time, I brushed it off. Wow! Thanks for offering shelter Erin!

Update: I drove by at 8:30 and about 4 or 5 artists stayed! That's pretty hardcore! Maybe they drove in from Seattle?

3 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!!! I am glad you guys are all okay!

    most importantly, its a damn good thing that Micah's bike survived!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we were so worried! glad you made it home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked by at about 8 and saw those same four artists, i figured that you all were smart and listened to the weather (which i did not) and stayed home!

    glad nothing broke!

    we were stuck in the car for an hour trying to get down to first thursday to see a friend perform while the storm was blowing through!

    ReplyDelete